Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 4, 1999

On Thursday 4 March 1999, at 13 h 4,
Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> wrote:

> >   34074  xdm login loop failure has happend to a newbie
>
> So, what's the consensus on how to handle this bug?

There is none. To summary:

- the problem is very serious for a newbie,
- it has no obvious workaround (except if you are connected to a network,
which is unlikeley for the isolated newbie), since the CtrlAltF1 apparently
does not work in that case,
- it is a very old "bug", not slink-specific at all, there is no emergency,
- I (and other people) regard as a no-no to drop xdm (the "graphical login")
from the pre-selections. Otherwise, <joke>people would even prefer to install
NetBSD</joke>,
- Adam (and other people) find the bug a real stopper.

Personally: it is *very* late and I vote against any change which is not
related to recently discovered facts. This problem (which is partly xdm and
partly X server and is not Debian-specific) has not been discovered this week!

--
http://www.debian.org/~bortz/