Re: Graphical install disks Ben Pfaff is doing

Hartmut Koptein <koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de> writes:

   > do arm, alpha and powerpc already use vga?
   > does that leave sparc, m68k

   :-) the framebuffer was first on m68k!

   All can use the fb-devices now, but not an fb driver that depends on
   intel bioses! We non-i386'er have the framebuffer in the kernel, so
   this new graphical lib from Ben shouldn't depend directly on his
   fbvga16!! It should just take that from the kernel area.

It does not depend directly on vga16fb.  The only hardware dependency
is the graphics library.  The library's interface is hardware
independent, but the internals must of course be hardware dependent.

To retarget for another platform, you write another set of internals.
I wrote the vga16 internals overnight, and vga16 is a lot more
complicated to program than a simple framebuffer card, so someone else
who is interested can write other sets.

   I don't accept any i386-centric for the boot-floppies! This must
   be really generic for all archs!!!

Agreed.  But I'm developing on x86 because I only have x86 boxes.  If
someone wants to send me a m68k then I'll write an m68k version
myself.

(Are older Macs usable under linux/m68k?  I can pick up some SEs with
4 MB RAM for $10 each at MSU salvage; should I bother?)
--
"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."
--Ovid (43 BC-18 AD)