Re: boot disk comments

[ Please don't Cc me public replies.  Thank you. ]

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 04:21:11PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> What version?
If he did not confused anything, 2.1.7

You said nothing about serial port parameters.  How a mean user is supposed
to deal with non-standard parameters (IRQ, for example)?

> I don't know what you mean by 'proceeded'.  All pppconfig does is create a
> set of files in /etc/chatscripts and /etc/ppp/peers.  I'm guessing that
> what happened was that pppconfig helped your friend create a connection
> named, e.g., 'my_isp' and then exited, having doen its job.  dboot (also
> known as dinstall) then proceeded to run 'pon' with no arguments, causing
> pon to default to 'provider' as the isp name.  This is a known bug in
> dboot.
You are quite right.  He created a connection named my_isp and thought it
would be made use of (to Adam: no, he did not read the documentation, but I
suppose that a message of some kind should have been written here anyway).

BTW, as I talked to him, he had a worse problem: the preselection mechanism is
not perfect.  As I have already said, he tried to install his Debian from
Internet.  When he took a package selection (yes, I know: what set? :) and
modified it a little bit (changed smail to sendmail), he asked dselect to
[I]nstall, and [R]emove, only link to the world was cut off: ppp package
disappeared.  What information is needed to fix this bug?

Thanks,

--
Mike