Re: Ready to build 2.1.7

Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> I'm going to build and test boot-floppies_2.1.7 this weekend. If
> everything goes well, I'll upload them to chiark next monday.
> If you want me to include your patches, send them ASAP. :-)

Sorry, I cannot send you them immediately. I'm just writting the code and I
have to try it first:
I'm working on adding multi kernels support for the root fs (root.bin) to be
able to put different releases of kernels/modules on different rescue &
drivers disks without rebuilding root.bin itself.  Moreover, all images could
be put under the same directory (like tecra does already).
I need such a feature for sparc but it could be enabled for other
architectures as well.

For instance, I will create 3 set of rescue & drivers disks for sparc named:

  resc1440.bin & drv1440.bin:
     standard 2.0.35 kernel for sun4[cdm]

  resc1440-2.2.x.bin & drv1440-2.2.x.bin:
     alternate 2.2 kernel for sun4[cdm]

  resc1440-2.2.x-sun4u.bin & drv1440-2.2.x-sun4u.bin:
     2.2 kernel for ultra (sun4u) (no 2.0 is available)

This feature could be used for tecra bootdisks as well (just replace "-sun4u"
with "tecra").

It is also available to any user who wants to create boot disks with another
kernel revision without rebuilding root.bin at all.  Just replace the linux
kernel on the rescue disk image & modules.tgz on the drivers disk image with
the new ones.

I will commit my patches soon (in 1 or 2 days I hope).

Regards.

PS: I'm also working on adding 2.2 kernel support, btw.