Re: boot-floppies dselect acquisition methods

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On 28 Jan 1999, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > Jason Gunthorpe writes:
>
> > > And for the tiny fraction of the population that is behind an FTP proxy
> > > without any http proxy support they can fetch it from the archive by
> > > hand there is no need for it to be on the boot disks. (It is hard to find
> > > a PCee that cannot run netscape)
> > > Again, as with dpkg-ftp the tiny fraction of the population that is behind
> > > such a firewall can get either a newer apt or a dpkg-http by hand they
> > > should not be on the boot disks.
> >
> > Do we really want to be telling people that they can't install Debian
> > unless they already have Windows?
>
> How is this a statement like that? Someone could easialy do that with
> another computer and a floppy disk or by running FTP by hand - we already
> do that to people who need dhcp which is argably much larger than those
> that need specialized proxy support.

Not to mention, how the heck did they get the boot floppies?  If they are
getting the floppies via internet, they can get any other packages they
need.  If they got them via cd, everything they need should be on the cd.

Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~bhmit1 |
|  The above is a completely random sequence of bits, any relation to an   |
|                     actual message is purely accidental.                 |