Re: boot-floppies dselect acquisition methods

On 28 Jan 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> On 28 Jan 1999 15:50:27 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> said:
> > Jason Gunthorpe writes:
> >> And for the tiny fraction of the population that is behind an FTP
> >> proxy without any http proxy support they can fetch it from the
> >> archive by hand there is no need for it to be on the boot
> >> disks. (It is hard to find a PCee that cannot run netscape) ...
> >> Again, as with dpkg-ftp the tiny fraction of the population that is
> >> behind such a firewall can get either a newer apt or a dpkg-http by
> >> hand they should not be on the boot disks.
>
> > Do we really want to be telling people that they can't install
> > Debian unless they already have Windows?
>
> No.  Tiny population or not, I think the lack of 'Authorization'
> support in the shipping apt is enough reason to keep 'http' on the
> boot-disks.  We'll just document that it should be used unless you
> really need 'Authorization'.

APT supports Proxy-Authorization which is the defined standard form of
authentication for proxy servers, there is a small number of very old
proxy servers that use this other scheme - I'd expect that by now nobody
is using such an antiquated version of their software. All 'new' (like 2
years or so) http proxys use Proxy-Authorization.

It is not like they cannot fetch the method they need by hand and install
it.

If you must include dpkg-http and dpkg-ftp then clarify their descriptions
that they are legacy methods for supporting special kinds of old proxy
servers and we can remove them in slink with APTv3 - hopefully we can
remove the CDROM methods too.

Jason