Re: pb compiling the latest boot-floppies from the CVS tree

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Sunday 24 January 1999, at 21 h 21,
> Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> wrote:
>
> > Packages that should be moved to i386 & alpha archictectures only:
>
> Are you sure they don't work on m68k? What do m68k people said? In the mean
> time, I've followed your advice.
>
> BTW, I sent two weeks ago a note on every debian-$architecture mailing list
> asking for such a review and got no reply at all, from nobody. No wonder that
> the non-i386 architectures are far behind for the slink release.
>
> > xserver-mach64
> > xserver-s3
> > xserver-svga
> > isapnptools
>
> The above works on the Alpha? Funny, but after all, Sun ships UltraSparc10
> with an IDE disk...

I looked into the debian part of the sources of these packages to see the
supported architectures.
For example, svgalib's debian control file says: "Architecture: i386 alpha".
Xfree86 only build mach64, s3, s3v & svga servers on alpha target.
and so on...

However, I didn't look at the slink archive to see whether such packages
really exist for alpha.

About the sparc, we don't support ultras right now.  Debian/sparc port is only
for sun4c & sun4m (there is a separate port for ultrasparc as they are based
on a 64 bit hardware).

> > svgalibg1
> > vgacardgames        (depends on svgalibg1)
> > vgagamespack        (depends on svgalibg1)
> > lincity-svga        (depends on svgalibg1)
> > luxman              (depends on svgalibg1)
>
> OK
>
> > xserver-vga16
> > lilo
>
> Of course, sorry. But I believe that lilo is included by the base
> installation, anyway. silo and milo should be included as well.

Yes, so I guess you can remove it from your list.

> > Packages that should be added to sparc:
>
> Done.
>
> > chimera2 in task Net_sel depends on "libpng2" which is not in the same task
>
> This is a case of arch-dependant dependencies. On the i386, chimera2 depends
> on:
>
> Depends: libc6, libjpegg6a, libpng0g, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5), zlib1g
>
> probably because it has not been recompiled for a long time. libpng2 added. I
> really should test the master file with Packages for all the "frozen"
> architectures. Since the packages have been compiled at different times, they
> have different dependencies.
>
> > Package lpr is standard or important but is not requested by any task (or profile)
>
> It is not a bug. It has been discussed on debian-boot (and, I think,
> debian-devel). The master file does not follow the priorities of the package.
> lpr is labeled important but the master file prefers lprng.
>
> > Package info in profile Basic depends on "zlib1g" which is not in the same profile
>
> Not in my Packages file, nor in <http://www.debian.org/Packages/frozen/doc/info
> .html>. Can you send me the Depends: on yours? info can handles .gz files?

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.0.93), ncurses3.4, zlib1g

Well, in fact, this package need to be recompiled for sparc.  It depends on
old libc6 & ncurses releases.

> > Package xacc in task Prod depends on "libjpeg62" which is not in the same task
>
> libjpeg* seems a real mess anyway... xacc seems to depend on libjpegg6a. I
> checked that the two libraries are always included together.

Ok.

> > Who is responsible of maintaining the master file ?
>
> I am. (It is indicated in the master file itself.)
>
> > Could he take care of my notes above
>
> Done and commited in the CVS tree. Can you test it?
>
> > and generate a new file or do I have to do it myself then post a
> > patch ?
>
> You can commit yourself if you wish, just be sure to use a nice log message
> (the debian-boot list receives the CVS commit messages.
>
> >> PPS: how do you include a package only for a sublist of architectures (like
> >      i386 & alpha) ?  Could I write some sentence like
> >
> >      [I386|ALPHA:some-package... :I386|ALPHA]
>
> [I386:
> [ALPHA:
> isapnptools: Tasks: Admin, Profiles: Admin, Dialup,
> :ALPHA]
> :I386]

Thanks for your help.
It's too late for me to try it now... Have to wait tomorrow evening ;-((
Regards.