Re: testing group -- please test the documentation

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:46:42 +0100 (CET), "Karl B. Hammar" <karl@kalle.csb.ki.se> said:
> Thank you for your ansver, you made a very good point there (see *a*
> below, HMH vs. tutorial).  Maybe we should split it in two
> documents, one printer ready HMH and one tutorial.

No no no!  I refuse to create another document just as another
presentation style of the installation documentation.

I feel that it should be a 'hold-my-hand' document.  OTOH, I refuse to
ignore the various installation options such as NFS just because it
creates more bulk.  Yes, less bulk is better, but documentation that
doesn't even mention the alternative ways that the system is being
installed (i.e., floppyless using a OS-loader like on m68k) is going
to confuse and alienate users.

> May I try my hands on the HMH thing?

> If so, it's requirements will be: 1, it should be printer ready,
> you'll need a paper copy of it during install 2, it must be easy for
> the reader to syncronize between the screen and the paper

We use SGML so it produces HTML and ASCII no problem; I can produce
reasonably high-quality PDF or PS copies as well if that is desired.
(I think including a PDF version would be good -- comments?)

> 3, fit in a Linux course

Don't know what this means.

> It will handle theese choises: 1, media: cdrom, nfs and ftp

No, this rules out most m68k installations.  Sparcs use tftp for
booting.  What about the potato disks, which should be serial console
ready as well (i.e., installation suited for the blind)?

The extra text needed for coping with and describing various
installation methods is really not all that much; forking documents is
not the answer IMHO.

> 2, profiles: BASIC and Standard Workstation

I don't really see what you think needs to be written for this.  I
intend to simple describe the basic profiles (Stephane has done some
work here and hopefully will continue with that).  After that, it's a
question of pointing them to Linux and Debian tutorials.

> Are theese the right cases and requirments?

I don't think so.  The Installation Manual describes the install
process in as simple a way as possible, not presupposing too much Unix
experience.  It should hold the users hands but not exclude different
installation methods or platforms.

I prefer debian-boot@lists.debian.org.