Re: ToDo List for the Boot Floppies Package

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 10:59:40AM +0000, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> Part of that functionality is already on the boot-floppies. As of
> boot-floppies_2.1.4, dbootstrap let's you use a loop-mounted fs as
> target (I still have to hack in suport for detecting active swap files.
> With the new /proc/swaps file on 2.2.x kernels that'll be really easy).
>
> As with Jens patches, you have to create and mount the files by hand, and
> there's no support for creating/modifying the initramdisk, but that's on
> the TODO list. I may work on this for boot-floppies_2.1.5, but don't hold
> your breath.
>
> > But you're right, we're too late for slink here.
>
> Not quite. The initramdisk stuff is the hardest part, but adding support
> for creating & mounting the files may be doable for slink.

IMHO the best way is to do the following:-

1. Have some option "Drop-in install", which does the following:-
    a. "Where do you want to install (partition)?"
    b. (directory)
    c. "How big do you want the root fs then?"

Then it creates the root fs, mounts it via loop, and in addition creates
another loop fs (the initrd), and adds that to the standard mounts, under
(/target)/dropin (or something similar, but NOT /initrd). Also, it adds
files like a "linux.bat", and puts loadlin.exe in there for you (not very
difficult).

Anyway, then we have some code a bit later (when base2_1.tgz is unpacked)
that also checks for /dropin existing, and if it does, extracts
dropin2_1.tgz into there, then creates a custom variable file
(/dropin/config, for example), telling the standard scripts where to go.

PS. the /dropin partition should be mounted with the "sync" option ALWAYS,
for safety.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP Key: finger tom@master.debian.org, http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pgpkeys.asc.