2.1.4 install disks seem to work for me on i386

Hi all,

I thought I would mention that I just installed slink over a cable modem
connection using only the files in the 2.1.4 disks-i386 directory, and it
worked great.  One of the most painless Debian installations I've ever done
-- I guess we're making good progress.

A couple of minor problems I noticed.  Probably you're aware of these
anyway, but I'll mention them while I'm here.

  - cfdisk refused to run because the partition table on this (I think brand
	new) drive was garbled.  I ran normal fdisk (which you cleverly
	included on the rootdisk -- thanks!) and deleted all four random
	primary partitions, then went back to cfdisk and it was fine.

  - I didn't choose the "make debian bootable directly from hard disk"
	option.  It didn't run lilo, which is what I wanted, but it didn't
	even make /etc/lilo.conf, which was kind of surprising when I went
	to install it later.

  - I chose "Standard Workstation" for my package preselections, and it
	wanted to install tetex and ALL THREE versions of emacs.  I think
	many people don't use latex anymore, but could we at least choose
	only one emacs as the default?
	  http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/popcon/results.editors.html
	Seems to indicate that xemacs20 is the most popular, with emacs20
	fairly close behind and emacs19 seriously losing.

  - It didn't install XF86Setup, xterm, or twm by default.

  - The setup program asking if I "run my own DNS server" told
	/etc/resolv.conf to use 127.0.0.1, but it didn't install named right
	away (of course).  I had to fix /etc/resolv.conf to use an external
	nameserver so apt could find http.us.debian.org to install the BIND
	package!

As I said, all minor problems.  It's nice to know that even as Debian seems
to become more and more unwieldy, the quality control just gets better.

Have fun,

Avery