Re: Second round of powerpc subarch investigation : boot-loaders.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 02:09:11PM -0700, Brad Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 11:29:38AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > oldpmac: uses bootx, miboot, quik or serial console OF. OF uses the
> > .coff kernel, don't know about initrd. miboot uses floopy for kernel
> > (compressed) and initrd. bootx can use a kernel and separate initrd, and
> > quik cannot be used for cdrom boot. It is said that it is possible to
> > use miboot to cdrom boot or something such, but i have not confirmed
> > these rumors. debian-installer will be installable from either bootx
> > (uncompressed kernel + separate initrd) altough we will not provide
> > bootx on the CD, or miboot (two or more floppy images).
>
> I'll see if I can remember enough to explain a few of these. Just as
> an overview: bootx is a MacOS application, miboot is a fake MacOS
> system, quik is a boot-block based bootloader for OF, and you can
> specify an xcoff formatted executable on any readable filesystem
> as the boot-device/boot-file in OF. In theory, miboot can be used
> on any device the MacOS can use to boot. You can use it on floppies,
> hard drives, and CD-ROM as far as I know. I have never setup a
> miboot based boot system, so I'm not 100% familiar with it.

Ok thanks for this response, this clearly clarifies the situation for
oldpmac, altough i don't really think this will modify our strategy for
oldpmac : miboot or bootx for initial install, quik for running systems
and miboot for those not supporting quik.

BTW, so quik needs the .coff kernel, right ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther