Re: USB Floppy

I got them from: http://people.debian.org/~sjogren/d-i/images/daily/

> Do you know that this USB floppy drive is in fact supported by linux?
> I own one that is, and one that is not.

Its the one the Sony Vaio's use: PCGA-UFD5.  According to linux-usb.org
its supported.

> It's possible that this is a usb hotplug issue, so one very easy thing
> to try is boot up, unplug your floppy, and plug it back in. This may be
> necessary for the kernel to notice it's there.

When I tried this, the floppy drive spun for a bit, but the install
wouldn't continue.  Will it detect the disk and keep going?  Or is there
some key I'm supposed to press?  I just hit enter and it still just sat
there printing dots to the screen.

> A more complicated thing to try is, at the boot: prompt, enter
> "linux BOOT_DEBUG=5"
> This will produce a very verbose bootup, and it will drop you into a
> shell at several points (just exit the shell to keep going). There is a
> program called usb-discover that tries to detect your USB and load the
> right module to support it. You can try running that, or modprobing the
> appropriate kernel modules by hand. If your floppy is detected by the
> kernel, /dev/scsi will be populated with a set of directories and
> devices. If you have that tree, this is not a USB detection problem, but
> something else.

Trying this now...

--
Shah <msdin@shaw.ca>