Re: Things we need from sid

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:59:52PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> I would be happy to do so if someone can show me why we really need 2.4
> boot floppies on i386.  So far, the only reasons I've seen are:
[...]

4. Better network card autodetection support

Its network card was an ISA NE2000 clone.  Using the 2.2 kernel, I could not
tell where the card was configured at, and eventually found a DOS utility
that told me, once I'd got hold of a DOS boot disk.  The 2.4 kernel was
capable of detecting and configuring the card for me without needing any
parameters.  Giving newbies a chance to configure their netcard under 2.4 is
IMO, a big advantage for non-PCI cards.

Chris
--
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany