Re: Things we need from sid

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

>> kernel-image-2.4.17-bf2.4
>> pcmcia-modules-2.4.17-bf2.4

> So are these an official part of boot-floppies? Should they be being
> (co?)maintained by Herbert to keep them in sync with the other kernels?

I would be happy to do so if someone can show me why we really need 2.4
boot floppies on i386.  So far, the only reasons I've seen are:

1. Support for new hardware.

Without initrd, you can include only so many hardware drivers.  And for all
of the important drivers that I can think of (such as NetGear FA311TX,
AICRAID, Promise Ultra IDE etc.), the support is already in at least one of
the latest 2.2 images anyway.

2. Support for ext3/reiserfs.

IMHO reiserfs simply isn't viable anymore.  So I don't really care
about whether we support it or not.  In any case, there is a 2.2 flavour
available.

Ext3 does not need boot floppies support.  Conversion after installation
of a 2.4 kernel is trivial.

3. Better support for auxiliary hardware such as sound cards.

A 2.4 kernel is only an apt-get install away so this has no place when
we are talking about boot floppies.

If there is another important reason for a 2.4 kernel, please let me know.

Otherwise IMHO this really is unnecessary.