Re: [RFC] managing dependencies with levels

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:28:49PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Thierry Laronde wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 09:20:25PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > > Ok, im starting to see its advantages now. (i think)
> > >
> > > Are all the the different dependency types (pre-depends, depends,
> > > conflicts, replaces, provides) represented in the one tree ?
> >
> > In this system, if I'm not mistaken, there are no pre-depends. If a package
> > pre-depends on another, that means that is level is higher so the package it
> > predepends on will be automatically installed before.
> >

> So it must be treat depends as pre-depends, i.e. all packages of a
> higher level have to be configured prior to installed, rather than just
> having to be unpacked.
>
> Maybe pre-depends and depends could have their own seperate tree ?

I don't think so. All packages can be customized by resources files, and the
packages are installed from lower to higher levels. All questions can be
asked before installation starts.

Does it answer your question ?
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org