Re: [RFC] managing dependencies with levels

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 09:20:25PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Ok, im starting to see its advantages now. (i think)
>
> Are all the the different dependency types (pre-depends, depends,
> conflicts, replaces, provides) represented in the one tree ?

In this system, if I'm not mistaken, there are no pre-depends. If a package
pre-depends on another, that means that is level is higher so the package it
predepends on will be automatically installed before.

Conflicts and replaces have not the same function as the dependencies. The
tree is built with the dependencies. The other fields are handled using this
tree, but are not mirrored in it.

> I can see how it would work with just dependencies, if
>
> package C depends on package B and pre-depends on package A
> package A and package B have no dependencies
>
> Would package A and B both be at level 1 and package C be at level 2, if
> so how do you represent that B needs to be pre-installed rather than
> just installed ?

Since level 1 is installed before level 2, B which is level 1 will be
installed automatically before C (which is level 2). There is no more
distinction needed.
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org