Re: How to deal with static web pages

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 01:55:50PM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
> > The general question is:  Do we want to stick to the jekyll method?  If
> > yes - and I think that's some interesting option - Debian Astro should
> > make sure that their pages will be created using this option.  If no
> > (which is fine for me as well) we should rather remove the according
> > doc to prevent that somebody will fire up jekyll and mess up things.
>
> I have no experience with Jekyll:

Me neither. :-(

> Can it programmatically generate pages
> from templates (with Python)? If yes, we could even think of moving the
> blends-tasks pages there. The current system uses genshi, which is at
> least unusual.

I do not insist on genshi.  It was available when I started the tasks
pages and was recommended by some other DD.  This was probably 10 years
ago.

> And since I think to rewrite the non-static pages anyway,
> this would be a good chance to switch.

Fine for me to switch to whatever you consider "modern" or "usual".

> It not, I could probably replace the generated part of the Debian-Astro
> web pages by something static (they did anyway not change as much as I
> expected -- to be specific: they didn't change at all). I would however
> still like the idea of having a landing page that has some actual
> information on it (number of packages, number of bugs, latest uploads or
> similar).

The pages are in dead that static that the attempt to make some
automatic common generation seems a bit over engineering.  Possibly its
totally sufficient to have some server side includes for common chunks
to be able to do common changes easily.  I admit I do not mind much but
its important that we do not mess up the static pages of Debian Astro.