How to deal with static web pages (Was: Please review med task's home page rewording)

Hi Steffen,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 12:01:52PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> Andreas had kindly accepted my membership request for the Blends team
> and I immediately messed up. Instead of a creating a pull request I had
> pushed to master directly. Could you please have a look at
> https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/blob/master/www-src/med/index.html
> ?
>
> What I wanted changed was "information" written twice and I missed the
> direction to salsa to request for additional eye balls.

thanks for commit[1] and the ping on the robots issue.

What exaxtly makes you assume that things are messed up by your commit?

Well it did not became effective but that's not yet messing things up.

I try to remember how to update static pages...

Two years ago Iain R. Learmonth invented a system to automatically
generate static pages for all Blends by using jekyll[2].  I tried this
and learned that this will mess up several pages from Debian Astro.  So
I reverted the change done by jekyll with the exception of the change in
www/med/index.html  which was probably your intention.  I guess now we
just need to wait for the according cron jobs until your change becomes
effective.  I realised you did another change[4].  While this is now in
the "productive" file there is a slight chance that if we decide for the
jekyll method this will overriden at some point in time.

The general question is:  Do we want to stick to the jekyll method?  If
yes - and I think that's some interesting option - Debian Astro should
make sure that their pages will be created using this option.  If no
(which is fine for me as well) we should rather remove the according
doc to prevent that somebody will fire up jekyll and mess up things.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/commit/5fbccd6563fc90eca216cd0dc70d0c1ef11dd86e
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/blob/master/README-www.txt
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/commit/b3c362108374be698017b9d4a6de3baad826e759
[4] https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/website/commit/47b5352a3c621aa9a9abb399e4d5578bbbe819a3