Is there a VERY minimalist "Pure Blend"

I am not "resource poor/constrained/???", but what I'm looking for likely would have roots in a resource constrained embedded project.

I might describe my application as "single operator", "single user" being used to describe something quite different.

I explicitly want no server capability. There will be a 56k modem for email and viewing web pages.

I do not play music or watch videos on my computer.

I've found some attractive features in projects such as Slackware and Linux From Scratch. BUT I want the advantage of prepackaged programs.

My ideal system would have a kernel, Gnome2, apt-get/synaptic, SeaMonkey and not much else.

Pointers?

Thank you.