Re: Blends integration into the Debian Installer

Hi Ole,

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:55:13AM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:
> in the alpha-6 relase of the debian installer, blends can selected for
> the first time directly during installation [1]. This was implemented by
> adding a blends-dev/debian-blends-tasks.desc file on a place where the
> "tasksel" step can find it.

That's *very* good news and might realise a dream I'm dreaming of more
than 10 years. ;-)

> * what are their requirements to be listed in the default installation
>   image?
>
> * can they live with just *one* option as a compromise?
>
> * if not: what needs to be done to get your requirement into the
>   installer?
>
> For Debian-Astro, I can (unsurprisingly) state that having one checkbox
> only is a compromise that works. What about the others?

For Debian Med it would be a big enhancement over not beeing mentioned
in the installer at all.  Since it does not make sense to install
packages to manage a medical practice on a machine where biologists want
to do DNA sequencing a more fine grained selection might be sensible.
On the other hand that might be Debian Med's fault to cover such a wide
scope and its time to split up the project to be more fine grained.  If
we might have only a single selection option for Stretch we might even
go with just the Biology part.  So in the end we could cope with a one
option compromise to not make things more complicated than they need to
be.

> I think we should somehow come up with an agreement on how we want to
> see the blends presented in the (default) installer.

Yes.  Thanks a lot for your work on this

      Andreas.