Re: Blends web pages relocation

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:31:26AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 05:29:46PM +0100, Iain R. Learmonth a écrit :
> >
> > There's now a page at https://www.debian.org/blends/ which has the index of
> > the blends. A lot of the links for the blends don't really go anywhere
> > useful currently, I need to find better links, so this isn't ready for being
> > linked from the front page yet.
>
> thanks a lot for this initiative.

Thanks a lot as well.  It is a very important initiative and should have
happened way earlier.

> I have a comment about the description at the top of the page: prospective
> users do not care about how Blends were called in the past, and how bad that
> name was; they want to know why Blends are good :)

+1

> Here is a suggestion:

> Debian Pure Blends
>
> Debian Pure Blends are a solution for special groups of users with different
> skills and interests. Not only do they provide handy collections (metapackages)
> of specific program packages, but they also ease installation and configuration
> for the intended purpose.
>
> Debian Pure Blends are not forks from Debian. As the name underlines, they are
> pure Debian and just provide a specific flavour. So if you obtain the complete
> Debian GNU/Linux distribution, you have all available Debian Pure Blends
> available for installation.
>
> Debian Pure Blends are also just called Blends when used clearly in the Debian
> internal context which makes "Pure" and "Debian" obvious, like on this page.
> They were formerly known as Custom Debian Distributions - this name was changed
> because it was confusing too much users on  be something else
> than Debian.

I like this description.

> I also find the "Learn More" section redundant with the introduction above;
> probably they can be blended ;) Maybe "Learn More" would be a good place to
> explain more in details how to install the Blends (in the end, was support
> enabled in Jessie's Debian Installer ?), what are "tasks" or "metapackages",
> how to find them, how metapackages work in Debian (what happens or not when
> removed), and whether it is possible to install two blends at the same time.

+1

> Lastly, small detail: how about adding "(Medical and Life sciences)" after
> "Debian Med" in the list of released blends ?

When drafting my mail I was not reading up to this point and wrote:

   Regarding Debian Med I would use

      Debian Med (Medicine and Biology)

   since for a lot of users it is not obvious that biology is included.

So I perfectly agree with Charles about an addition - Life sciences is
OK for me as well but I confirm that some addition should be specified
here.

> PS: if somebody has an idea for a cool diagram that would explain it all in a
> simple picture, that would dramatically increase the visual impact of the page

The "Understanding Debian" graphic[1] has also a Blends section.

[1] http://cfnarede.com.br/sites/default/files/infographic_debian-v2.1.en.png