Re: Blends web pages relocation

Le Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 05:29:46PM +0100, Iain R. Learmonth a écrit :

> There's now a page at https://www.debian.org/blends/ which has the index of
> the blends. A lot of the links for the blends don't really go anywhere
> useful currently, I need to find better links, so this isn't ready for being
> linked from the front page yet.

Hi Iain,

thanks a lot for this initiative.

I have a comment about the description at the top of the page: prospective
users do not care about how Blends were called in the past, and how bad that
name was; they want to know why Blends are good :)

Here is a suggestion:

Debian Pure Blends

Debian Pure Blends are a solution for special groups of users with different
skills and interests. Not only do they provide handy collections (metapackages)
of specific program packages, but they also ease installation and configuration
for the intended purpose.

Debian Pure Blends are not forks from Debian. As the name underlines, they are
pure Debian and just provide a specific flavour. So if you obtain the complete
Debian GNU/Linux distribution, you have all available Debian Pure Blends
available for installation.

Debian Pure Blends are also just called Blends when used clearly in the Debian
internal context which makes "Pure" and "Debian" obvious, like on this page.
They were formerly known as Custom Debian Distributions - this name was changed
because it was confusing too much users on  be something else
than Debian.

I also find the "Learn More" section redundant with the introduction above;
probably they can be blended ;) Maybe "Learn More" would be a good place to
explain more in details how to install the Blends (in the end, was support
enabled in Jessie's Debian Installer ?), what are "tasks" or "metapackages",
how to find them, how metapackages work in Debian (what happens or not when
removed), and whether it is possible to install two blends at the same time.

Lastly, small detail: how about adding "(Medical and Life sciences)" after
"Debian Med" in the list of released blends ?

PS: if somebody has an idea for a cool diagram that would explain it all in a
simple picture, that would dramatically increase the visual impact of the page

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,