Re: Renaming a blends task

Hi Ross,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 08:19:29PM +0200, Ross Gammon wrote:
> We had a very small task called timestretching in the Debian Multimedia
> Blend. I have redefined the scope of the task to "Audio Utilities" and
> it gave us a place to put all the other audio tools that were scattered
> about because they didn't have a clear home.
> http://blends.debian.org/multimedia/tasks/timestretching
>
> Before I rename the task file, I thought I would check if there are any
> issues in doing this. I assume the web sentinel will update itself okay,

Yes.

> but I was wondering what happens during an upgrade (e.g Jessie > Stretch).
>
> Of course the packages installed by the meta-package will all be
> upgraded, but the meta-package never will, and the "upgrader" might be
> missing out on some great new packages.

The user needs to install the new metapackage.  The Blends framework does
not provide any "upgrade path".  It might be possible to add a chunk to
debian/control.stub

Package: multimedia-oldtask
Architecture: all
Depends: multimedia-newtask
 Explain the upgrade here

but this is untested and I somehow would call this overengineering.

> I suppose we should include this information in an announcement for Stretch.

I think this is the better solution.

> Anything else I have missed?

I do not think so.