Re: Proposed Debian Fluxbox blend

Quoting Stephan Foley (2015-12-28 02:45:52)
> Hi Jonas, thanks for the warm reply. I signed up with Alloth and will
> set up SSH tonight. My login is "stephanfoley-guest". "fluxbox-blend"
> sounds great and it would be perfect if you can setup the group.

Excellent.

I changed my mind and have called the project "blend-fluxbox" to be
better aligned with the naming scheme at Alioth (e.g. pkg-*).  I suggest
other future blends to consider use same naming pattern.

You are now added to our project, Stephan, as admin.  In fact I omitted
other roles than admin, as I believe we have not need for hierarchy and
should avoid it when possible.  Our git has write access for all formal
Debian developers, and public read access.

Mailinglist should apppear 6-24 hours from now here:

Please subscribe yourself, and then let's move discussion there :-)

> If you are interested, you can also be the long term maintainer.

Yes I intend to take part long-term, but expect you to stay aboard too
and that you will be the main driver of this.

I have an interest in exploring lightweight desktop compositions and
extending the configurability of Debian packages, but do not use Fluxbox
personally (more on that further down).

> In terms of my experience installing Fluxbox from a base of Debian,
> initially I was pretty confused just figuring out how to get xorg
> running and finding the right display manager. Then the configuration
> of Fluxbox...a lot of services found in more traditional desktop
> managers are missing...font and theme settings, sound, auto mounting
> drives, notification of system messages, archive manager, etc. And
> also the look and feel of the system took a lot of work.

Please consider blogging about that learning experiences - I am sure
others would be inspired by it!  If you do, then tell me, and I can add
your blog (or blog tag if you use that) to https://planet.debian.org/
:-)

> Right now I have a list of the packages needed to install plus
> configuration files in a skel directory.

Please put that info in one or more git repos - or if you are unfamiliar
with that then make a tarball and email it to me.  I will then integrate
that info with Boxer - a tool to generate install routines for flexible
blending - and when working I will share with you how to test and extend
your work reimplemented in the Boxer (and you can then tell if you like
that approach or not).

> Does Alloth have project wikis?

Please use Alioth the least possible - use Debian itself when possible:
Use Debian bug tracker and Debian wiki - e.g. extend
https://wiki.debian.org/FluxBox or add a link from that page to a new
page https://wiki.debian.org/FluxBox/Blend

> The DebianPureBlends page is terrific. I really like this part: "Let
> everyone know through the <debian-devel-announce@lists.debian.org>
> and listen to what everyone has to say about your idea." so, maybe if
> this works out you or I can make that announcement.

Yes, that is a common pattern in Debian: When something is ripe for
discussion and/or testing at large then announce it to the developers at
large.  As main developer of this blend I imagine you will make that
announcement - but we can obviously discuss that when we get so far :-)

> Other blends I think would be useful and are missing in the Debian
> flavors are tiling windows managers. The ones that spring to mind are
> xmonad (Haskell), dwm (C) and Herbstluftwm. Also Notion, based on
> Ion3, but that is in the non-free repos.

I personally use the tiling window manager Awesome, with only few custom
tweaks to its configuration.  I have considered pushing those tweaks
into Debian somehow, but feel it is too small a scope for driving a
Blend around that.  If a larger collection of tweaks gets collected then
it might make more sense - or perhaps if our Fluxbox blend turns out to
not really be strongly tied to Fluxbox we might consider expand+rename
to embrace more tiny window managers - both conventional and tiling.
Later, not now :-)

 - Jonas