Re: Dynamically injecting preseeding file into a trusted installer image

[Erik Josefsson]
> But even better of course if we could have dynamically injected our
> preseeding file into a trusted installer image:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/11/msg00455.html
>
> A bit like when you install Debian from a CD, you make a few choices
> like language and keyboard etc. What if you could, in such a simple way,
> just choose "Tor-node", "firewall" or "debian-astro"?

With the Debian installer, there is support for writing the ISO to an
USB stick, and store extra firmware on a partition next to the ISO
content on that USB stick.  The code is in hw-detect, see
check-missing-firmware.sh.

It would be trivial to extend the preseed loading code to also look in
the same locations for a preseeding file with a well known name,
allowing a normal Debian ISO + preseeding file to be stored on a disk
image.

Would that solve the use case you had in mind?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen