Re: like to get your Blend promoted by tasksel, a Blend, no meta package

Quoting Geert Stappers (2014-08-26 18:32:30)
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 05:14:31PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Quoting JOSEFSSON Erik (2014-08-26 16:27:43)
>>
>>> DebianParl is a blend that could also be in taskel, no?
>>>
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianParl
>>
>> DebianParl is a blend, yes, but currently not defined by
>> metapackage(s) so cannot technically be included in tasksel.
>>

> What does that mean?
> Does it say "a blocking conflict"?
> Does it say "addition work needs to be done"?
>
> Please elaborate

A blend is not necessarily defined by a metapackage.

DebianParl currently defines itself in one of several ways:

 a) debconf preseeding file
 b) shell script executed as root on (fresh, minimal) Debian system.

Above methods involve not only package selection but also some
configuration tweaks.  The alternate method of a (meta-)package is not
offered because the tweaks applied are currently done in ways believed
to violate Debian Policy if done by a packaging script (another blend
interprets Debian Policy differently - see bug#311188).

Yes, it is "a blocking conflict" in the sense that the needed tweaks
violates Debian Policy (see bug#311188 for another similar case), so
either requires improvements to other packages or changes to Policy.

Yes, it is _also_ merely "addition work needs to be done" in the sense
that the tweaks might be redesigned to not violate Policy - or
DebianParl might be redesigned to not need those tweaks.

 - Jonas