Re: Adding game related tasks to tasksel (Was: Debian Games Pure Blend)

[Andreas Tille]
> Hi Petter,

Hi. :)
> I think you are arguing from a position that your target user *knows*
> about Debian Edu and installs some dedicated Debian Edu install medium.

Not really.  I just try to explain the available mechanisms.

> However, we want to approach that some random user does not know
> about the existence of say Debian Edu to stick to this example.  How
> would you try to integrate some task selection ito the default
> Debian installer to teach people that there are education specific
> tasks (and game specific, science specific etc tasks)?

I would do it by submitting patches to the tasksel package, and
getting the changes in there. :) The other options seem like more
work, as it would involve rewriting parts of d-i. :)

> I think that's no solution specifically we do not intend to install
> any tasksel files but only those of some specific Blends that should
> be brought to the attention of our users.

Well, if you want them to show up in the tasksel step in the
installer, something need to provide some tasksel files in /target/
before pkgsel is executed by d-i. :)
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen