Re: [GSoC] blends-gen-control hints (Was: blends-dev, gsoc 2013)

Hello Andreas,

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Emmanouil,

just to sum up our short live conversation:  I'd suggest to rather use a
'-q' option to silence the control file instead of needing to force the
output using '-w' - we really want the warning for developers notice.

This is done. The warning message is printed by default and added a -q argument which make the script silent.

So I think it is a very good idea to check whether our new method
compeares reasonably to the currently existing metapackages for
debian-edu, debian-med and debian-science to be really sure that our
method is really sensible.

In order to automate the comparisons for control/taskdesc files  between current and new blends-dev I wrote a script  "blendsdev_compare"(simple diff command was not working because packages where not in the same order):. I generated the orig.tar.gz for debian-med with the current(_cur) and the new blends-dev into  folders like:

debian-med-1.13.1_cur (current blends-dev)
   and
debian-med-1.13.1_new (new blends-dev)

And below I dump the differences between the control files from current and new blends-dev using the script:

./blendsdev_compare -d ../debian-med-1.13.1_cur/debian/control,../debian-med-1.13.1_new/debian/control -c

For surprise there are a lot of differences in "Suggests" headers. There are a lot of missing "Suggests" packages from UDD so missing from the control file. I have attached a control.diff with the output of the blendsdev_compare script. The control.diff contains packages which are included in the current blends-dev and are not included in the new.

Example of the output comparing for debian-med:

* Comparing med-practice
  --> diff in suggests
[   u'mirrormed',
    u'elexis',
    u'openpms',
    u'proteus',
    u'ginkgocadx',
    u'freeicd',
    u'clearhealth',
    u'freeshim',
    u'medintux',
    u'resmedicinae',
    u'tinyheb',
    u'sqlclinic',
    u'remitt',
    u'openrep',
    u'freemed',
    u'elementalclinic',
    u'mirth',
    u'freeb']

With a quick search: the above packages do not exist into blends_dependencies_alternatives so they are also not included into the control file. These packages  are not found into UDD so they not included at all in blends_dependencies_alternatives table from the blends_metadata_gatherner.

Nice to have you met at DebConf

Same for me :-)

Kind regards

Emmanouil