Re: [GSoC] blends-gen-control hints (Was: blends-dev, gsoc 2013)

Hi Emmanouil,

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 11:08:24PM +0300, Emmanouil Kiagias wrote:
> > Perhaps compression is just stupid.  The tarball will be compressed
> > anyway so there is no real win in double compression.  Lets just stick
> > to the json files.
> >
> Yes you are right. Compression might just be useful if we are going to
> keep the json files into the VCs but anyway ,if needed, we can change that
> anytime.

Yes. I think compression was not one of my best ideas. ;-)

> > Fine.  As I said it would be great if you could create some blends-dev
> > package to let us do things on "neutral" pathes as it will be
> > implemented later anyway.  SO I will be able to test your work more
> > easily.
> >
> I added a debian/ directory into the blends-gsoc. Now with debuild a
> blends-dev-patch package can be generated.

I do not see any reason to derive the name.  Finally it is the name we
are targeting at - I see no point in inventing new names.  Since we do
not yet upload I see no chance for any harm that could be done.

> For the moment I named it
> blends-dev-patch so it won't override the existing blends-dev files
> completelyAlso(I don't know if dpkg has any args to avoid that).  when
> installing the packages with "dpkg" I used --force-overwrite arg in order
> to override the current's blends-dev files we want.

You see the name change is asking for trouble and --force-<anything> is
some last resort workaround we should avoid.  If you want to go the
clean way for renaming a package you need to use

  Conflicts: blends-dev
  Provides: blends-dev
  Replaces: blends-dev

just in case you might need this in other cases for the future.

> Remember to add  * start automatically injected changes * / * end
> automatically injected changes * into the target changelog in order to make
> changelog entry work. For the moment  I save the changelog entry with the
> dependencies changes into a debian/changelog.new file into the generated
> orig.tar.gz.

I'll check this tomorrow.

> I installed the blends-dev-patch package, I run ./dumpTags to get
> dependencies json for previous releases  and  I tested "make dist" for
> debian-med_1.13.1 and seems to work.

OK.

> PS: I had a great time today as it was my first attempt to create a simple
> debian package (and to be honest I got stuck to a very simple/stupid bug
> for a couple a long time while trying to make "debuild" to work)

Sometimes it is reasonable to ask to get over those beginners hurdles
soonish.  I guess somebody might lurk on a fitting IRC channel (well,
not me, because I do this quite rarely - but others will help as well).