Input on package thermometer (Was ... long ago: package thermometer improvements)

Hi,

I just notice that the discussion is quite aged (two years) but finally I
found a quite easy mechanism to implement the GIS package thermometer for
all Blends.  If you run the script available under

   http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=blends/website.git;a=blob;f=misc/sql/gis-thermometer.sh

with the command line option 'debian-gis' on alioth you get all data
needed for the Debian GIS package thermometer[1] (as well as the Ubuntu
version - please tell me whether those Ubuntu releases might be
sufficient or you prefer other releases listed as well).

I attached a gzipped output of

   gis-thermometer.sh debian-gis

to this mail to give you a quick overview about the data.

What is left to do is some wrapper to turn this into a web page -
perhaps in parallel to the existing tasks and bugs pages of the web
sentinel.  So I would write a Genshi template and a Python wrapper
around the query to finalise this if you agree with this procedure.

The only thing that need to be adopted from Debian GIS team is the way
you are specifying your not yet packaged target software.  I have no
idea in what way you do thie inside the GIS thermometer but I'd
recommend to follow other Blends techniques.  The best way would be to
inject a packaging skeleton into VCS.  This is parsed and injected into
UDD and thus can be easily used inside the query.  Finally it is a
preparation for your intended goal to package the software.  I checked
that it takes about three minutes to fill in some skeleton debina/control,
debian/changelog and debian/copyright (machine readable, only the first
License field is parsed - no need for completing everything).  If you
do not have this three minutes per package I doubt that there will be
any serious work done in the next year and so it can be easily droped
from your todo list to do it at some point in time later.  In case your
agree to this prospective package in VCS method simply mentioning the
binary package name inside the tasks file is sufficient to let all
tools (inclusive the to be finished thermometer) sufficiently.

Just let me know if you like this idea and I'll go on with the Genshi
template to create Debian Blends thermometer (+ optional Ubuntu
thermometer, probably even enhanced to "other derivatives" thermometer).

[1] http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debiangis-status.html