Re: Debian Games Blend

Hi Markus,

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:35:20PM +0200, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hello Andreas, hi folks
>
> as i already mentioned in my private e-mail to you, i intend to maintain
> the blend information for games in Debian.

Cool!

> First of all it seems i will need commit access to the svn repository
> and i would be glad if you could invite me to the Blends team. My user
> name on alioth is apo-guest.

Done.

> You have also suggested in [1] that you
> intend to switch to git repositories in the future. If one is already
> available, i'd prefer this one over svn.

You could easily do this yourself.  I do not mind at all about the very
short history in SVN at all and I because I do not regard my stuff I
rather injected as example than as real work as valuable contribution
from a development point of view.  So just creating a Git repository
from scratch and feeding the existing files in would be perfectly fine.

> I had some time to think about your 6 points [1] and the discussion
> about how beneficial debtags could be in the process of maintaining
> blends information.
>
> I see debtags more as a source of meta data which can provide
> fine-grained information not only about game categories, which are the
> foundation for task files at the moment, but also about the language a
> game is implemented in, the ui-toolkit, what hardware is required to
> play it or what kind of age rating applies to a certain game. I can
> imagine there are users who just want to install all python games or
> only want to play games with joystick support.
>
> I know that Miriam Ruiz had the excellent idea to create debtags for
> "parental advisory" but i don't know the current status of this project.
> So instead of just having information about game categories, you could
> also create all other kind of tasks with data that is already provided
> by debtags.

I'm continuosly open for any ideas that will enable us to make stronger
use of DebTags in the Blends framework.  So keep on "thinking loudly"
here.

> I know there is a GSoC project ongoing at the moment that deals with
> some of these issues and i am eagerly interested in its outcome. I will
> start by using some of the debtags tools [2] to query the necessary
> information for games and build task files with them and see how it
> goes. So far

Thanks for your work on this

       Andreas.