Re: Presentation + A debian-based for audio creation and production, stage technics and video blend (or "the future of TangoStudio")

On 11/13/2012 11:49 AM, Aurélien - Chargé de Porn - AMMD wrote:
Le 12/11/2012 15:55, Adrian Knoth a écrit :
On 11/11/2012 03:14 PM, Aurelien wrote:

Hi all of you,

Hi!

I don't have the time to follow the discussion closely, so I'll limit
myself to a single point:

- avoiding pulseaudio by default

AFAIKS, there is absolutely nothing wrong with pulseaudio, except that
it may get in your way when you want to start jackd.

Last time I checked (several monthes ago, I must admit), it was quite
painful (or erratic) when using jackdbus. It might be better now. What I
can say is that it's been a real trauma for many users, especially by
UbuntuStudio users, and I know quite a lot of people giving up with
UbuntuStudio and passing to TangoStudio or KXStudio because pulseaudio
wasn't enabled (or was disabled) as default.

In my experience, the implementation of pulseaudio in Ubuntu is far more painful then in Debian or Fedora. It wasn't even possible to remove pulseaudio via apt-get in Ubuntu cleanly etc.

Again I've no bad experiences with pulseaudio on Debian, but I'm using mainly fluxbox for audio, not Gnome, not sure if that makes a difference.