Re: Presentation + A debian-based for audio creation and production, stage technics and video blend (or "the future of TangoStudio")

On 11/14/2012 08:49 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:27:42AM +0100, Aurélien - Chargé de Porn - AMMD wrote:
<snipped interesting stuff which does not need comments from my side here>

* I've to say that I am by now not really sure about the answer I
should give to the "Are you the good person for that project?"
question in the Debian Blends doc!

Whether your are a good person for a job or not you can only find out by
trying.  In fact, if nobody tries the thing you want to happen it will
not happen.  I guess if I would have known all consequences my work from
ten years ago has now I'm not sure whether I would have started because
I would have feared that I could not cope with this.

@Aurelien, you clearly have an goal and ambition. I think that makes you a good person for that project. Makes sure you'll find the support that is available in different Debian channels.

Make a list of tasks you want to accomplish step by step, an project plan, and try to find others who want to support or help you with the task.

* There are several examples of metapackages in Debian
Here is some doc:
http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ap-QuickIntro.en.html

* The Debian Multimedia Team spoke about plans to have a backport repo in the past. I'm sure they're willing to help you here.

* RealTime kernel is already in Debian! Task done!

* The tool Reinhard suggested: maybe you could contact 'raboof' and see if it's possible to build such a tool. You could also drop an message on the LAD mailinglist for help. Or maybe within the Debian community you'll find people who want to help you with this.

* Try to get people like the former devs of AVLinux and Tango Studio and probably 64studio involved. They might be able to help you a bit with a particular task.

(* If the blend is all setup and done, and you want to deliver an image, it might be nice to make it possible to install it via an netinstall, then people have up-to-date packages. I've looked into debian live build system, and to me it looked useful and great).

(* All though I would keep the audio configuration doc /tool WM independent, if you also want a specialized doc for your favorite WM, then I would suggest XFCE if you liked the Gnome2 version of Tango Studio).

\r