Re: Presentation + A debian-based for audio creation and production, stage technics and video blend (or "the future of TangoStudio")

Hi!

Le 12/11/2012 11:53, rosea.grammostola a écrit :
Hi,

In my opinion you need

1) debian blend metapackages
Allows people to install packages for a certain task, like 'recording'
'mixing' etc.

I agree with this.

2) A stable repo with backported packages from Debian testing/unstable

(2a) optional an custom repo with packages which are not allowed in Debian.

OK.

3) A Guide for configuration

In your proposal you want to control too many things imo. Let people
choose themselves whether they want to use pulseaudio or not, whether
they want to use XFCE or Gnome etc.

I understand what you mean, and could agree with this. But see below.

* Make a Guide for configuration Debian for linuxaudio, WM independent.

I don't believe in this, though I find it necessary.
As far as french-speaking-people are concerned (not that I care about them more than about others, but I know them more than others!), they do have guide for using Debian as multimedia studio, say "customiser sa Debian pour la MAO", there are bunches of articles about that, including french ones on the linuxmao.org website, which is very well-known by french-users. OK, it's not Debian doc, but still, the "standard" sound guy, or lights guy, or musician, just fears when it comes to read such a documentation, even if this documentation avoids any use of terminal (which is not often the case), and comparing it to an "out-of-the-box solution", he will chose the "out-of-the-box solution", exactly because, as said in Debian Blends docs "in the best case, the end-user should even not know he's using a computer" (approximative quote).

UbuntuStudio, when it cames to the world, several years ago, had a made a great effect, and many users were using it cause it was easy to install. With time, it's been less true, and people began to look at some other distributions, like kxstudio, AVLinux, Pure:Dyne, and so on. I've seen all of these, and thought that finally, I made the very same with my Debian and a bit of time, and was happy with it, or even better: happier.

TangoStudio had that sort of audience in France too, with a french-speaking community and a very active/reactive developper as well as a users-base really active too, that's why it worked by that time (even if Jof has no time for this by now).

To stick to your analyse, I didn't personnaly switch to TangoStudio because I prefered to keep my freedom of chosing the softwares I want, the way I want, and so on, but still, I cannot ommit that there are a lot of people who won't come to Debian, or more generally Free Software if they don't have such a solution.

I finally would distinguish two "extreme"-kind of end-users for that domain:
- the ones wanting something that works out of the box, with package preinstalled, nice look and feel, and that won't trust you that it's possible to have a nice WM just because you tell them it is (even if you show them), - the ones (like me), who hate to have unused softwares on their system, wasted diskspace, wasted ressources, and so on, the ones installing Debian with the netinstall CD and "base-system" only.

I think Debian as a whole already fits the needs of the second ones, as they're able to do what they want/need from a "Debian scracth".
However, there is not solution in Debian for the first group.

Optional/ extra:
- Make a guide howto remove pulseaudio and use Debian without pulseaudio
- Make a guide howto optimize your favorite WM
- ...

The same. Those guides do exist, and are read (at least in France, but I'm sure it's pretty the same everywhere), but it simply isn't enough.

Offering a ready to install installation image costs way too much time
imho.

On that point, I totally might be wrong*, but I feel once meta-packages exists, it's "just" a matter of preseed, as when you use live-build. To be perfectly clear: I think all (or almost) the requested packages for such a use of Debian are already in Debian as a whole.

* I've to say that I am by now not really sure about the answer I should give to the "Are you the good person for that project?" question in the Debian Blends doc!

Good luck,

Thanks.

\r

--
Aurélien - Chargé de productions Musiques
AMMD (Freak and Free Arts Coo[r]p)