Re: Difference between blends and remastered systems

On 11-07-06 at 05:32pm, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > I suspect that a "Debian Blend" (i.e. not "Pure") can be anything
> > based on Debian, possibly with the intend of some day become a
> > "Debian Pure Blend".
>
> "Debian derivative" is a better term for such things IMO.
>
> > I suspect that a "remastered Debian system" can just be anything
> > based on Debian.
>
> Sounds like a Debian install to me, unless it is a livecd with a
> different set of packages to the "official" livecds, then I would
> consider it a derivative.

Harish asked for a comparison of two terms, not how to best phrase the
question.

I took the liberty to introduce a third term and compare them both
against that.  A term which I was confident about and was certain to
keep relevancy for this mailinglist - confusions of terms are quite well
known to turn discussions off-topic here.

I agree that "Debian Blend" is a vague term which potentially has no
special intent towards Debian and therefore more accurately could be
called a "Debian derivative" - but that is a different topic than the
one raised by Harish, I believe.

Regards,

 - Jonas