Re: Could be considered a *Debian Blend* a CDD with packages from diferent repos

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 03:18:57PM -0400, Walber Zaldivar Herrera wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard escribió:
>> Good question!
>>
>> Short version: No - mixing across branches is unpure!
>>
>> Slightly longer: I would say "no", but I suspect that Andreas Tille or
>> others might disagree. :-)

I do not disagree with Jonas and I subscribe his points in this and
his other mail in this thread.  Some additional notes below.

> Ok, I'm agree, I suposed a Debian blend should be made from *pure*
> official Debian.

Whatever you might do and if it fits your purpose just do it.  If it
does not the fit the criterion "pure Debian" then it is not a Debian
Pure Blend (that's just a naming issue) - but you are free to use our
Blends techniques anyway (hey it's free).  But once you are doing so you
will probably notice that you will profit from sticking to pure Debian
as closely as possible.  Make sure you will be able to give hard facts
which forces you to use additional components and if there are such
things you probably have to go this path.

However, you might consider using the Blends approach (see the docs[1])
in internal Debian and even specify packages which are not in offical
Debian in your tasks files.  The method which creates your metapackages
will sort out these dependencies and will reduce them to "Suggests"
which makes the package valid for inclusion into Debian and works for
you if you would use

   apt-get -o APT::Install-Suggests=true install foo

(damn, I wished at least bug #473089 would be fixed to find this
information easily :-().

> But there is another additional doubt if we include a
> package that isn't in Debian repos, except those metapackages that we
> need anyway (free-pascal and lazarus, for example)

Well, these are in testing currently and several people are optimistic
to get Squeeze released this year.  What is your planned release
schedule for your project?

> the distro couldn't be called a blend anymore?

Finally it does not matter how you *call* it.  It is important that it
is good, useful and sustained.  It has turned out for other projects
that sticking as close as possible to Debian increases your chances to
fullfill these criterions.  If you keep this in mind everything will
be fine.

Good luck for your project

      Andreas.

PS: It might be a good idea to have a deep look into the BrDesktop and
    EzGo Blends.  Perhaps you will be able to adapt things for your
    purpose.
PPS: If you would like to follow the "close to Debian" approach and
     would like to commit the metapackage sources (tasks files etc.)
     to our alioth repository just create an ALioth account and ask me
     for including you in the Blends project.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/ch-technology.en.html