Re: Name poll (Was: New name: Call for opinions)

Le Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:54:28AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> All other suggestions got less than 8.4 (70% of 12) votes and thus
> would be below the limit I suggested for a potential condorset voting
> in case we have no clear winner (I would not regard the result above
> as a clear winning situation).

Hi all,

I suggest that we keep using doodle for the brainstorming to eliminate
unpopular choices, but that we then use selectricity for the Condorcet
voting. Its voting engine is free software and the rest is promised to
be released under the AGPLv3, and it is made by a DD.

http://selectricity.org/

Doodle is very convenient, but this is one more tool that makes us
dependant on non-free software.

Also, I had no time to participate in the discussion (back from
holidays). I would like to make the following comments:

 - Acronyms are often shuffled when translating from one western
   language to another.

 - Trendy words in English are difficult to translate, and their meaning
   can change with time.

My personnal conclusion is to suggest a dictionary work that has not too
much background. For instance, "Rainbow". A Debian rainbow distribution
would be translated as a "distribution arc-en-ciel" in French, et
cætera. The rainbow colors all derive from the same thing, and we do not
need to enter into more details with the name if we want to keep it
short.

I am not saying that rainbow is THE thing, but althout I agree that we
should find an end to the debate, I would prefer to see more alternative
to the "3-letter acronym" concept. Also, seeking for very large
consensus is really important, as votings divide communauties when they
are too close to 49/51.

Lastly, here is why I dislike spin and slice.

 - Slice suggests that not all is available.
 - I do not understand the relation between rotation and custom derived
   distribution.

I will reflect this email on the wiki later.

Have a nice day,

PS: or how about "sur mesure" :)

--
Charles Plessy