Re: thoughts on a new name

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:55:11 +0800
"Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> I don't see how thingy1 aren't Debian subprojects.

Huh?  I didn't say that.  I said there are many Debian subprojects that
aren't thingy1!

> Could you explain what the distinction between CDDs/thingy1 and what
> you understand from the term "Debian subprojects" was meant to be and
> what the purpose of the distinction?

In the broadest sense, a Debian subproject is any organized effort
within Debian to accomplish something.  Thingy1 is clearly defined on
the naming proposal page, so I don't know why you need further
clarification.  If you don't identify with others who are trying to
accomplish the same sort of thing within their subprojects, naturally,
you won't care about giving it a name.  We name this distinction to
help communicate about our shared goals and purpose.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org