Re: thoughts on a new name

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:14:22 -0300
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is the most accurate description I have read so far :-)
> It goes straight to the point: we make a subproject in Debian.

And so we come full circle.  Debian Jr. was called a subproject
initially.  We decided we needed a better name back then because Debian
is full of subprojects, not all of which are "thingy1":

http://wiki.debian.org/CDDNamingProposals#head-28e0bfc23ab009f3ecb4e464e56e81f4009033b8

Perhaps we need listed on this page examples of subprojects that
are in Debian that are *not* thingy1 (and don't fall in the categories
thingy2 or thingy3) since there seems to be some confusion here.

Have a look at:

http://www.us.debian.org/devel/

Notice the "projects" listed there that are not on the shorter list of
CDDs beneath it.

I am quite opposed to just going back to "Debian subprojects" because
then we lose the distinction altogether that we're trying to make.  The
idea that when you set out to make a "Debian-derived distribution", if
you follow the CDD approach, you and your users are much better off is
very hard to express if you don't have a name for the alternative.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org