Simple-CDD Etch extra packages not installed from CD

Hi All,

I've been testing simple-cdd and it is going well.  I'm using etch
with the udeb from sid.  I pretty much followed the howto from
http://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD/Howto

I create the profiles/default.packages with the extra package list.
The cd image builds with the extra packages on the iso image.  But
when I run the iso, only the base-packages get installed.

If I add the following to the profiles/default.preseed:
d-i     pkgsel/include  string  ntp libncurses5-dev bison libssl-dev
more-packages.....
the extra packages get downloaded and installed from the debian
mirror, not from the packages stored on the CD.

If I understand correctly, this behavior is not right.  The included
packages in the default.packages should be installed from the CD
within the debinstaller.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

JR