Re: custom vs. derivative (Re: packages.gz corrupt, missing packages and other issues)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:

Debian Edu and Skolelinux are two names for the same thing.

Says who?
Any links?

Some people say that Debian Edu is the project name and Skolelinux is the
distribution, but this is not really right, it's more to make a distinction
where there really is none. This is done, because many people cannot cope
with one thing having two names.

Well, I definition can not be right or wrong.  A statement based on a
definiion has the features true or false.  So define clearly what you mean
first.  I guess we are running circles over and over because we have one
weak definition for a badly choosen name and many staments here in this
thread are a result of different interpretations of several terms by
several people.  The reason why you consider my statement wrong is that
you not fully accept the definition.  I don't say that you should accept
this definition because it does not perfectly fit the reality we would
like to describe - but it makes no sense to continue this discussion before
we all agree on the same definition.

Anyway. Whats more importantly wrong in the above sentence is the part about
some parts ;-) Debian Edu (or Skolelinux..) consists 99,867% of Debian,

So that part is what we would call CDD from the current definition.

the rest is taken from outside the Debian archive, the Debian Edu archive.

which makes it something else than a CDD and
    http://wiki.debian.org/CustomDebian
gives it the name "CDD in development".

But everything in Skolelinux is Debian Edu, as its the same thing.

So it is pure logic that both is no CDD but a "CDD in development".

And IMO, either something is a CDD or not. Thats quite binary in my
opinion :-)

This is absolutely correct.  But your doubt about my initial statement
just results out of a different understanding of the term "Debian Edu".

OTOH, I also think something can be called a CDD, even if the aim, to be 100%
part of Debian has not been achieved yet. As long as there is this aim and
work on this aim is being done.

Well, so let's find a better name for what currently is called
    "CDD in development"
attach a usefull and clear defintion to this name and move on.