Re: dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution ...

Hello "vagrant",
> alternately, you could grab from the development branch:
>
>  http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/bzr/simple-cdd/simple-cdd-devel/

If that works for you, I have to ask what browser you use.
Neither Lynx nor FireFox see anything there.  Just an empty:

                  Index of /bzr/simple-cdd/simple-cdd-devel

   [ICO] Name Last modified Size Description

   [DIR] Parent Directory   -

    Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) PHP/4.4.4-8+etch4 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c
    Server at cdd.alioth.debian.org Port 80

Maybe the SCM server stuff is down because other source archives
on debian.org have a similar vacuous appearance.

Anyway, thank you for the reply.  Questions, though:

> comment out the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, or configure apt
> pinning so it doesn't pull in unstable packages.

Not being adept at apt, it is unclear what this means.
I guess putting a '#' in front of the newly added line:

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main

Yes?  My current sources.list file contains:
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> #
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r1 _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20070820-20:21]/ etch contrib main
>
> #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r1 _Etch_ - Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20070820-20:21]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

and now the new "deb" line, which I comment out after pulling
the project.

>> The file "debian/control" file contains the triggering text:
>>
>> $ fgrep shlibs:Depends control
>> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
>>
>> and this is apparently caused by needing some 'substvars' file,
>> but I don't know what should be in such a file and which variation
>> of "*substvars" should be used.
>
> probably could drop this, but it doesn't hurt to leave it in, either.

Other than the ugly warning message?  It causes angst.  :)
Anyway, as long as I know this, I can just "sed away" the issue
in my build-the-cd wrapper script.

Thank you again.  Regards, Bruce