Re: dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 11:17:23AM -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:
> I'm having trouble determining what to do about this.
> I'm fiddling with the etch-simple-cdd project.

please use the current simple-cdd package, even if you're primarily
working with etch. the etch-simple-cdd branch has many bugs.

 http://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD/Howto

alternately, you could grab from the development branch:

 http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/bzr/simple-cdd/simple-cdd-devel/

> The file "debian/control" file contains the triggering text:
>
> $ fgrep shlibs:Depends control
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
>
> and this is apparently caused by needing some 'substvars' file,
> but I don't know what should be in such a file and which variation
> of "*substvars" should be used.

probably could drop this, but it doesn't hurt to leave it in, either.

> Here is the end of the ``debuild -us -uc -I.bzr -b'' command.
> Thanks for any hints!  Regards, Bruce
>
> dh_gencontrol -psimple-cdd-profiles
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}
> dh_md5sums -psimple-cdd-profiles
> dh_builddeb -psimple-cdd-profiles
> dpkg-deb: building package `simple-cdd-profiles' in `../simple-cdd-profiles_0.3.0~1_all.udeb'.
>  dpkg-genchanges -b
> dpkg-genchanges: binary-only upload - not including any source code
> dpkg-buildpackage (debuild emulation): binary only upload (no source included)
> Now running lintian...
> W: simple-cdd: script-not-executable ./usr/share/simple-cdd/profiles/3parcp.postinst
> Finished running lintian.
> sp09998:~/etch-simple-cdd
> $ echo $DH_VERBOSE
> 1

normally, the udeb doesn't contain the profiles, were you trying to
customizee the simple-cdd-profiles udeb?

the udeb is intended to be used unmodified, merely grabbing the profile
information from your generated CD.

look at the Howto mentioned above for the recommended way of building a
CD with simple-cdd.

live well,
  vagrant

p.s. an updated README and dependency resolution is in the
simple-cdd-devel branch, and should be uploaded to unstable soon. :)