Re: Patch to build-simple-cdd

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:40:10PM +0000, Matthew King wrote:
>> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org> writes:
>> > On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 12:30:20PM +0000, Matthew King wrote:
>> > i reported a similar bug for i386, but apparently it only got fixed for
>> > i386. seeing as it's been a problem, maybe i'll keep the workaround you
>> > proposed (for a while, there was a workaround in build-simple-cdd for
>> > this).
>>
>> Steve McIntyre said:
>>
>> Yup. This went into the svn version of debian-cd quite a while back,
>> and it's about time we uploaded a new package to match.
>>
>> So this bug will not be around for long.
>
> looks fixed in debian-cd 3.0.0 (though i haven't tested if simple-cdd

It is.

> still works with that version)

It doesn't. Hooray for random mirrors which still hold old files...

>> > well, as for building preseeds, i don't think there are any questions
>> > that non-root users can't configure.
>>
>> This is to allow preseeding of questions listed in
>> /var/cache/debconf/passwords.dat, such as:
>> passwd   passwd/root-password    password r00tme
>>
>> Unless root, /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections fails:
>>
>> mking@knight:~/src/Sphere/profiles$ /usr/bin/debconf-set-selections --checkonly default.preseed
>> debconf: DbDriver "passwords" warning: could not open /var/cache/debconf/passwords.dat: Permission denied
>> error: Cannot find a question for passwd/root-password
>> error: Cannot find a question for passwd/root-password-again
>> Command (511) failed with exit code: 1
>
> indeed, i was able to confirm this.
>
> either i'm delusional, or debconf-set-selections didn't used to behave
> that way (it used to just add missing questions with dummy templates if
> necessary).
>
> i'll try to incorporate your workarounds for this issue soon.

The patch has a bug (aside from looking a bit ugly) which somehow didn't
come to the fore when I first tested it. Perhaps I implemented it
initially with the correct quoting. Anyway it has `$$' instead of '$$'
and gets very confused trying to execute the command.<

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely