Re: Re: Patch to build-simple-cdd

Hi,

Nice to see progress on simple-cdd in the short time that I've been away.

I did one more run last Sunday and suspect, but can't confirm, some kind of instability. Over the last three runs I've tried exactly the same procedure with exactly the same profiles/*.download and profiles/*.download files. It looked like I got different results. with each run -- one successful; two not. May very well be an error(s) on my part. I was stressed out, getting ready for my trip. But I'll run the cycle again on Sunday, when I'm able to focus again on the task.

One problem is that I feel like I'm blindly following a set of procedures that I don't understand -- and the procedures themselves are a moving target. Thus, I can't distinguish between my blunders and genuine bugs.

Has anyone published an authoritative design document that spells out in pseudo code or other high-level representation what's happening under the hood when you run simple-cdd?

What I'd most love to see is a two-part doc; 1. Overview of the algorithm used in simple-cdd for generating a custom distribution; 2. A step-by-step procedure for configuring and running simple-cdd to generate a custom distribution -- something similar to the simple outlines that I've included in earlier postings.

I recognize that the source code would be the most authoritative source of all, but I for one am not sufficiently skilled to follow what's going on in source, nor how to translate source into best-practice run-time procedures.

Would it be possible to publish a wiki or similarly community reviewable /editable user document along the lines above that is clearly designated as most authoritative? If others thought it useful, I'd be happy to help with the writing, editing, and updating of such a beast if I can get knowledgeable guidance.

Best wishes,

Lloyd R. Prentice