Re: Google Summer of Code 2006

Hi all

Here's a small point that hilights the difference:

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:36:50PM -0400, Darrin Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 13:02 +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > PDK inside Debian would be a precondition for me to agree that it is
> > able to build a CDD (according to the current definition).
>
> There is one possible conflict. I'm hoping to keep PDK in what I call
> perpetual beta. As time goes on, the ongoing cost of maintaining an old
> distro tends to increase. As time goes on PDK improves, lowering the
> cost of maintaining your old stuff.
>
> Having a frozen version of PDK in Debian Stable encourages people to not
> use recent PDK and therefore incur higher maintenance costs.

A general (no very accurate, but still) observasion:

People that maintain a CDD, tend to want to track Debian Stable with its
updates. For them you need to stick with Debian and leave as much as
possible of the maintinance to Debian.

With PDK you generally expect to do all the maintinance yourself. Thus
you work with a frozen copy of Stable, and then add some of the packages
from Unstable that you need and so forth. You need to do much more
maintinance and the result is much les compatible to Debian (think
Knoppix). OTOH, the tool allows you to do many more mixes and to spend
your time with QA rather than with the building.

(Disclaimer: I have not tried PDK myself. This is only based on my
reading of the wiki, mostly)

--
Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir@local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir@local.xorcom.com