Re: Google Summer of Code 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:49:00PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote :

> For instance my basic idea of Debian-Med is to give a (not yet
> existing) company that provides medical services based on Free
> Software a tool that works out of the box for their needs.

Sorry for being almost off topic in this thread, but I would like to
share an opinion:

For administrative reasons, it is much easier for a company or a public
service to buy rather to give an arbitraty amount of money. You can not
send $100 to free software developpers, even if you saved $200 by using
Debian or another downloadable distribution. Just think about the many
blanks on the order sheet!

I think that the commercials distributions which could be build on top
of mature CDDs can solve part of this problem, as instead of giving, you
can buy a box and a manual for an arbitrary price to somebody who can
then support free software (Not taking into account the services which
can be sold at the same time).

I am sure that you are all motivated in your work on the CDD, but I hope
that I gave you another good reason.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy