Re: Help with D-I

2006/2/13, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com>:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:55:09AM -1000, Daniel Andrade wrote:
> > I'm trying to customize the instalation of a debian system and am
> > using the debian-cd tool to create the custom cd....
> >
> > I'm trying to customize the D-I process (that one you choose the
> > language, keyboard, perform hardware detect, do network configuration,
> > etc etc)... so, i'll enumerate what i did...
> >
> > 0 - got the debian-installer .tar.gz (version 20050317 - compatible
> > with the sarge distribution) and untargzipped it to a
> > [debian-installer] directory...
> >
> > 1 - tried to create a [my-distro]-udeb package and created the
> > [my-distro]_0.0.1_all.udeb package with dpkg-buildpackage... the only
> > thing it was suppose to do was to display a welcome message to the
> > user (I set the XB-Installer-Menu-Item to 9, so it was supposed to be
> > displayed before any other thing and checked the templates file, it
> > was all ok...)
>
> Where exactly? in the postinst of your udeb? I'm not sure that this is
> the right place for such messages, as the order of udebs "installation"
> is not well-defined. Your udeb should generally add scripts in various
> hook dirs in the installer.

 Yes.... I have a directory [my-distro]-udeb with the following structure:

  - [my-distro]-udeb
   -- udeb
     -- [my-distro]-init
   -- debian
      -- rules
      -- control
      -- postinst
      -- etc, etc, etc....

the [my-distro]/udeb/[my-distro]-init is the one who display the
message with db_input and db_go, that is, would be the "welcome to the
system" message, even before it calls the languagechooser... it's is
an executable file and it sources the confmodule, so, it was supposed
to work.... in the [my-distro]-udeb/debian/control file, the
XB-Installer-Menu-Item is set to 9, that is, I think that should be
the first message to be displayed (the first default message is 10)...
the order of messages displayed are listed in the
debian-installer/doc/devel/menu-item-numbers.txt

I'm going to test it now, so, if it works I'll notice you all....
else I'll need help...  =]