apt-proxy, squid and more

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 10:48:35AM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 2/6/06, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org> wrote:
> > (...)
> > if using debpartial-mirror 0.2.11, it won't re-download everything- it
> > should check the existing packages against the mirror and only download
> > files that don't match.  i tend to use it in combination with a squid
> > proxy, which can speed things up a bit (though it never caches as much
> > as i wish it would).
> > (...)

> Are you using squid, why not apt-proxy ?

squid is solid, stable and works good enough for most of what i need.

i have experienced many problems with apt-proxy, often difficult to
reproduce. there's frequently release-critical bugs against it(at the
moment, one unsolved rc bug from summer 2005). it consumes far too much
memory to run on many systems.

i also like being able to:

export http_proxy=http://foo:3128

and disable with:

http_proxy=""

i've toyed with the idea of using python-cdd to create something similar
to apt-proxy, but it's probably over my head :)

live well,
  vagrant