Re: Examples for CDDtool

On 05-07-2005 18:28, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:
> El Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:26:15PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard va escriure:

>>With the attached cdbs file (both plain file and diff attached - don't
>>know what you prefer), default DESC is applied except when overridden
>>like this (which is common cdbs style):
>

>   Nice, I'll change it to work that way, looks more cdbs-ish... ;)

Great that I can help :-)

Did you prefer files or diffs? Or do you perhaps dare give me write
access to SVN (I have broken Vagrants CVS of lessdisks in the past, but
my intention is to never do that again!)?

>>I feel pretty much at home with cdbs (I wrote the python file you borrow
>>from :-) ), so tell me what you want and I'll do the coding for you. :-)
>>
>>As an example I believe debscripts/cdbs-helper is better incorporated
>>into cdbs/cddtk-meta.mk itself: cdbs scripts are supposed to not pull in
>>dependencies on their own.
>

>   I didn't knew anything about that policy, but the script will always depend
>   on the cddtool and the 'cdbs-helper' (a very poor name choice, BTW) is
>   included with it, so I don't really see the difference.

As with your using python for the source tool but shell for the binary
package, cdbs is written in a single language: make.

>   My initial idea was to have something like a set of debhelper scripts for
>   the cddtk,  implemented directly on the cddtool, but as that implied a lot
>   of changes in a given moment I ended up puting toghether a couple of shell
>   scripts as a temporary solution, that have ended up in the current
>   'cdbd-helper'.
>
>   Anyway, my idea was to allow the use of the helper scripts without cdbs, as
>   some people may prefer to use them directly. Probably the solution is to
>   include the functionality on the cddtool or fix the current scripts and turn
>   them into a set of dh_ like scripts.

Rewrite cddtk.mk and cdbs-helper as dh_-like scripts
- ----------------------------------------------------

The philosophy behind debhelper is to help you do each step of the
packaging process with a single command.

If you want debhelper functionality, then I recommend you code it in
perl similar to the rest of the debhelper suite.

Each packager would then have to include rules for those 3 additional
debhelper scripts in their already long and complex debian/rules file.
But wait - those developers that like to hand-write their rules files,
are they the same ones that like to super-automate the generation of a CDD?

Merge cdbs-helper into cddtk.mk
- ------------------------------

The philosophy behind cdbs is to reduce similarly written patterns of
the make code in debian/rules files (be it debhelper invocations or
other parts) with single include lines and maybe some variables.

I believe that fits right into your need here. And I even believe that
cdbs has already done some of the parsing you want, so it may (more or
less) just be a matter of stitching together already defined variables
from other parts of cdbs.

Merge cdbs-helper into cddtk itself
- -----------------------------------

Doesn't sound right to me. But hey - I am a cdbs-lover :-D

Hint: If you choose to keep the cdbs file, I recommend you offer the
script for inclusion in the cdbs package (but sure, include it in cddtk
until it is accepted).

Whatever: if you choose to write it as debhelper files, then I probably
just write a cdbs file myself as a wrapper... ;-)

>>Oh, and I suggest renaming from "cddtk-meta.mk" to just "cdd.mk" as the
>>cdbs names usually relate to the target area rather than the specifik
>>tool to get there (like "perlmodule" instead of "makemaker-pm", and
>>"kde.mk").
>

>   What about 'cddtk.mk'? I believe is good to indicate that the rules are for
>   the cddtk, as we already have other tools related to cdd that won't be
>   supported by this rules file.

Fine with me.

Then also change the cdbs-specific variable to DEB_CDDTK_DESC.

 - Jonas

- --